Turn off iTunes backups of iPhone or iPad while syncing

I don’t normally re-post stuff I find on other news sites but this is an application I found on FreewareGenius.com that sounded like a really good idea.

I rarely hook my iPad and iPhone up to my computer and sync with iTunes.  When I do I usually get aggravated because it has to go through a backup each time and it can take forever if it’s been awhile.
This little app turns off the backup part of syncing your iPad or iPhone.  It makes the sync time much less which is a good thing.
If I ever nuke my iPad or iPhone I never restore from backup because I like a totally clean device that I put back the stuff I use on it manually. 
I know it sounds silly but I’d rather it be a clean load without the crap I never use anyways.

Email multiple photos in IOS 4

While trying to figure out a different problem I found that you can email multiple photos from IOS 4.
Some of you might be saying, duh, but I just figured it out so hush.  This might even have been available in previous versions of the OS but I haven’t tested it to figure it out.

I’ve been just emailing one photo at a time by selecting a photo and then selecting the little box with an arrow icon.

When you are on the screen with the thumbnails of your photos hit the little box with an arrow in the upper right hand corner which allows you to select multiple photos.
After you select those you want to email hit the share button (on the iPad it says email not share).  This opens a new email with the selected photos in it.

It’s a silly thing but something I’ve wanted to do for awhile.

My original problem is that the photos that are emailed are not situated in portrait mode even if you take the picture in portrait mode.
So all of these photos end up rotated to the left when I post them to Facebook and to my website.  I’m still looking for a solution to this one.
If anyone knows of a fix let me know!

Set the value and text of a bulleted list using Hyperlink mode from VB.NET code behind

I love the internet.  All of the answers to life are on the internet if you take enough time to look.
Not only are the answers to life’s big questions out there, like what happens when I die?
But also the answers to things like how on earth do I set the value (what’s not seen and in my case was a URL) and the text (what’s seen) of a bulleted list that is being displayed in Hyperlink mode?

It took a little while and I finally found something that looked like the answer but it was in C#, which I know pretty much nothing about.
But there’s this handy website that can convert C# code to VB.NET.

So here it is (from experts-exchange.com, another valuable website):

Dim objListItem As New ListItem()
For i As Integer = 0 To 9
objListItem.Value = YourURLStringValueHere
objListItem.Text = YourDisplayTextStringValueHere
BulletedList1.DisplayMode = BulletedListDisplayMode.HyperLink

The loop is just there for explanation purposes.  In my case the loop was a set of data from a SQL connection.

Whew, ok I’m going to bed now that this is figured out.

ASP.Net Popup window from a hyperlink within Gridview results that passes 2 parameters

I spent a fair amount of time nailing this one down so I figured I’d better record it for future reference.

From within your gridview section add your columns and change one of the columns to a template then you can manipulate what shows up for that column.

<asp:HyperLink ID=”HyperLink1″ runat=”server” Font-Underline=”True”
NavigateUrl=<%# String.Format(“javascript:void(window.open(‘http://intranet/somepage.aspx?parameter1=” & Eval(“gridviewColumnName1”) & “&parameter2=” & Eval(“gridviewColumnName2”) &  
“‘,’_blank’,’width=750,height=700,toolbar=no,status=yes,scrollbars=yes,resizable=no’))”, Eval(“gridviewColumnName1”)) %>
Text='<%# Bind(“gridviewColumnName1”) %>’></asp:HyperLink>

What you end up with is a hyperlink that looks something like this:


So the hyperlink will popup a window and take you to your specified page and passes 2 parameters to the page that can then be acted upon.

Hopefully this makes sense.  It does to me right now, but who knows when I come back to it later!  :)

Note:  many times when you copy and paste this sort of code into your environment you’ll have to change the apostrophes because they get replaced with a backwards apostrophe which will cause problems.

Find Columns in a table in SQL Server 2005/2008

I couldn’t find an easy way to search for a column across all tables in SQL Server 2008 like I could in 2003.
After some poking around on the internet I found the following on this blog:

Select O.name objectName, C.name ColumnName
from sys.columns C inner join sys.objects O ON C.object_id=O.object_id
where C.name like ‘%NameOfColumnHere%’ order by O.name,C.name

Note: Sometimes when you copy and paste the apostrophes get changed surrounding the name of the column you are looking for so you might need to delete them and put them back in.


The following is for finding stored procedures:
AND ROUTINE_TYPE=’procedure’

Solid diet of theology

Those who hope to survive with any measure of emotional sanity and mental stability must have a solid diet of sound biblical theology, clearly understood, consistently digested, regularly put into action.

– Chuck Swindoll